The functions of MPCB is to exercise powers conferred on and perform functions and duties assigned to it under the Water and Air Acts in order to abate and control pollution in the state of Mizoram. MPCB, just like other State Boards SPCBs is mandated to discharge the functions under the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act,1974 and the Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act,1981 and to implement various rules and notifications framed under the Environment (Protection) Rules, 1986.
The main functions of the Board under the Water and Air Acts are:
•To plan a comprehensive programme for prevention, control and abatement of water/air pollution and to secure the execution thereof;
•To advise the State Government on any matter concerning prevention, control and abatement of water/air pollution.
•To collect and disseminate information related to water/air pollution.
•To collaborate with Central Pollution Control Board in programme related to prevention, control and abatement of water/air pollution; and
•To assess quality of water/air and to take steps for prevention, control and abatement of water/air pollution in such areas.
The Board has additional responsibilities under various rules and notification framed under Environment (Protection)Rules, 1986 such as:
1. Manufacture Storage and Transport of Hazardous Chemical Rules, 1984
2. Manufacture, Use, Import, Export and Storage of Hazardous Micro-organism Genetically Engineered Organism or Cells Rules, 1989
3. The Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control Rules, 2000
4. The Ozone Depleting Substances (Regulation) Rules, 2000
5. The Batteries (Management and Handling) Rules, 2001
6. Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016
7. Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016
8. Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016
9. Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016
10. E-Waste Management Rules, 2016
11. Construction and Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016
12. Environmental Impact Assessment Notification, 2006
Other functions of the Board under environment and pollution control are as under:
1. To deal with all matters pertaining to environmental awareness among the masses, trainings, and research on the environment and pollution control.
2. Monitoring and assessment of impact of development of projects on environment.
3. Dovetailing of the environmental concerns in the development processes through Environmental Planning to ensure environmentally compatible land use and ecosystem specific conservation and sustainable use of all resources.
4. Research and Development on the environment protection and pollution control independently as well as in collaboration with premier institutions in the field of environment.
5. Inventorisation of sources of hazardous chemicals and waste, creation of database on the treatment technologies and providing consultancy for the concerned.
6. To study the likely impacts of agricultural and horticultural activities and study of “Non-Point Sources of Pollution” such as chemical fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides and other chemicals on soil and water resources, flora, fauna and communities in the State and to suggest mitigation measures/alternatives in this regard.
7. To advise the Government on the Environmental issues.
8. To consider the validity and facts contained in the Environment Impact Assessment and monitoring of Environment Management Plan prepared by the Project Proponents.
9. Monitoring of implementation of Environmental Safeguards as specified by the Government of India at the time of Environment Clearance to the various project proponents in the State.
10. Monitoring of Pollution Control measures/ devices adopted by the various industries/proponents.
11. All matters pertaining to Natural and man-made disasters and to suggests mitigation/ remedial action plan programmes.
12. To create data bank on disaster management related to potential industrial accidents and mitigation through instruments such as Onsite and Offsite Emergency Plan and Public Liability Insurance cover etc.
13. To make coordination among the various agencies of the State Government, which are involved in environment protection and pollution control.
14. To deal with all environmental education programmes, awareness programmes and to promote pro-active disclosure of environment monitoring and management information by the project proponents and the regulators.
15. To deal with all matters relating to the environmental litigation with respect to aforesaid rules and regulation and Acts.
16. Formulation/ maintenance of environmental standards in respect of various pollutants in the State.
17. Natural Disaster and Climate Change.